This page lists some of the resources that I’ve either cited in my own work or have found useful for some additional background information. Please remember that some older material might contain incomplete or incorrect information. For this reason, please remember to check the references for yourself before using them in your own work!
- King-Dorset, R. (2019) Black classical musicians and composers, 1500-2000. McFarland.
- Matera, M. (2015) Black London: the imperial metropolis and decolonization in the twentieth century. University of California Press.
- Sadoh, G. (2015) Five Decades of Music Transmutation in Nigeria and The Diaspora
- Sadoh, G. (2018) The Centenary of The Cathedral Church of Christ Choir, Lagos. GSS Publications.
- Toynbee, J. et al. (2016) Black British Jazz Routes, Ownership and Performance. Taylor and Francis.
- Agawu, K. (2014) Tonality as a colonizing force in African music – YouTube. CIRMMT Distinguished Lectures in the Science and Technology of Music.
- BBC Radio Four (1975) Avril Coleridge-Taylor talking about her father in 1974 – YouTube.
- Black Composers Series – The Complete Album Collection. This Sony box set is a reissue of the 1970s, CBS Masterworks LPs, conducted by Paul Freeman. Although the focus is on African American composers, Chevalier de Saint-Georges, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor and Fela Sowande are featured. Performers include the London Symphony Orchestra and Juilliard Quartet.
- Website of Jeffrey Green, historian – http://www.jeffreygreen.co.uk/
Blogs and online articles
- Ngwe, U. (2019) ‘My Other Piano’ – the classical side of Winifred Atwell – Sound and vision blog, Sound and Vision Blog.
- Ross, A. (2013) Othello’s Daughter | The New Yorker
Academic journal articles and papers
- Hart, W. A. (2017) ‘New Light on George Bridgtower’, The Musical Times, 158, pp. 95–106.
- Sadoh, G. (2010) ‘African Musicology: A Bibliographical Guide to Nigerian Art Music (1927-2009)’, Notes. Music Library Association, pp. 485–502.
If you’d like to submit or suggest relevant material for addition to this page, please use the contact form.